Ayurvedic Treatment of Childhood Asthma - Medicines, Home Remedies and Diet Charts
Asthma is one of the most common chronic diseases of childhood and its primarily due to envirnomenal factors. It is a lung disease characterized by difficulty in breathing, cough with sputum and some time fever so it can be quite troublesome for child patients and particularly in sleep its very frustrating at times. Children with asthma typically cough, wheeze, and experience chest tightness and shortness of breath so medical supervsion is very much mandatory and advice of physician should be taken.
What is asthma? Asthma is a condition where the airways become irritated and inflamed causing it to be blocked. As a result, the airways become narrower and produce extra mucus which further aggravate the condition of asthma. This makes it more difficult for air to flow into and out of the lungs and causes the symptoms of asthma and patients feels very much uncomfortable. Certain precipitating factors may be cause of further narrowing and all these factors should be avoided. This narrowing produces a unique wheezing sound during breathing and these sounds can be easily checked through investigation. You are welcome to contact Nakra Ayurveda Hospitals and Herbals Pvt Ltd to avail our Free Online Ayurveda Consultation for Childhood Asthma.
Causes of Childhood Asthma
In children, an acute asthma attack usually occurs at the time of a cough and cold caused by a viral infection so immunity system should not be compromised. Wheezing in children is most often caused by colds rather than by asthma and a differential diagnosis is a must. When they do develop asthma, it may be due to allergic reactions to irritants, or some other triggers or stimuli like those listed below for your easy reference and these have to be avoided under all circumstances :
Irritants - dust, cigarette smoke, fumes and chemicals Allergies - to pollen, grass, medicines, animals, house dust mite, fungus or certain foods Infections - colds and flu
Exercise - especially in cold, dry air Emotions - stress, laughing or crying very hard Weather
Symptoms of Childhood Asthma
- Pain or feeling of tightness in the chest
- Coughing usually of chronic or recurring
Ayurvedic Childhood Asthma Treatment
According to Ayurveda Medicinal Science, asthma in children can be of following two types:
Beeja dosha (genetic), or Sahaja (acquired)
- Sahaja type of asthma is easy to treat with the help of medicinal herbs, whereas asthma due to genetic causes (beeja dosha) wherein there is a history of asthma in the family, is difficult to treat and Patients must not delay the treatment protocol because its highly uncomfortable for patient. In some cases, it has been observed that after 8th or 9th year of age the problem disappears spontaneously so patients should be aware on this aspect as well and stay in regular touch with physician. This type of asthma may have been caused due to the imbalance of kapha dosha so dietary protocol with regards kapha aggravation should be implemented here.
- Kapha is one of the three biological energies or doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) responsible for health and disease in every human being so dietary protocols with regards kapha are highly pivotal in achieving best health benefits. It is a mucus like substance, which is dense, heavy, firm, stable, slow, thick, sticky, wet, clear and cold in nature so all these properties should be kept in mind while devising the dietary protocol. In asthma, kapha imbalanced due to various causes accumulates in the lungs and leads to blockage of bronchioles in respiratory system and as a result asthma is the ailment.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice for Childhood Asthma
- Exposure to dusty and cold air, smoke, dust and polluted air should be avoided.
- Drinking lukewarm water with honey is helpful.
- To avoid ama formation, children should be given freshly prepared warm meals at regular intervals and not the junk food.
- Heavy foods like dairy products, fried foods, pickles, cold foods, ice creams, beans and legumes should be avoided.
Home Remedies for Childhood Asthma
- Give half cup of ginger tea mixed with 2-3 crushed garlic cloves if your child is getting asthma attacks and follow this advice under medical supervision.
- Massage the chest with warm sesame oil (5 ml) with a pinch of salt. Follow it with steam inhalation and steam is very vital for normalization of respiratory system. This helps loosen the phlegm deposited in the chest and the symptoms are allleviated in the process.
Treatment / Prescription / Consultation / Home remedies for Childhood Asthma - please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org