Ayurvedic Treatment of Anorexia nervosa - Medicines, Home Remedies and Diet Charts
Anorexia means the loss of desire to have food even when one is hungry and its a medically confirmed illness. This disease is known as aruchi in Ayurveda medicinal science so there is proper prescription and protocols available. This condition can arise due to a sedentary lifestyle, stress and wrong eating patterns because such habits lead to development of ama in body channels. In this condition a person has no appetite for food due to indigestion or psychological causes and it leads to vitiation in jathragni. In some cases the patient gets a bad taste in the mouth and has no desire to swallow the food - so it must be addressed and through intake of medicinal herbs, this condition can be restored with ease. You are welcome to contact Nakra Ayurveda Hospitals and Herbals Pvt Ltd to avail our Free Online Ayurveda Consultation for Anorexia nervosa.
Note that anorexia (simple loss of appetite) is not the same as anorexia nervosa (commonly known as anorexia) so both are absolutely different aspects, which refers to serious psychological and physiological conditions usually seen in women where they develop and aversion to eating and have a distorted body image and a fear of being obese and so detailed differential diagnosis is very much essential. A person with anorexia nervosa often has severe and even life-threatening weight-loss and medical consultation is very much important. In contrast, anorexia (the simple loss of appetite) is usually temporary and does not develop into anorexia nervosa so there is no need to be worried and it can be resolved with ease through medicinal herbs.
Causes of Anorexia Nervosa
According to Ayurveda Medicinal Science, anorexia nervosa is caused by an aggravation of vata, pitta and kapha doshas, and psychological factors such as fear, anger and stress, leading to incomplete digestion of food which in turn leads to the formation of ama (mucus) and its chronic ailment. This ama blocks the gastrointestinal channels of the body and thus disturbs the sense of taste which can be quite misleading for many. The following contribute to this condition: inactive lifestyle; oily, sweet and heavy foods; snacking between meals; and having meals in a disturbed atmosphere, such as eating while watching television and so we must not lead a sedentary lifestyle and be always active in nature.
Symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa
- Obsessed about calories & fats - which can be always misleading
- Avoiding eating with some excuse and healthy eating is always essential in life
- Dramatic weight loss due to unexplained reasons
- Secretly vomiting after meals and this must be checked
- Overexercising or over activity
Ayurvedic Anorexia nervosa Treatment
According to Ayurveda medicinal science, the physical causes of aruchi (anorexia) are aggravation of vata, pitta and kapha in the stomach so these must be in check. Kapha is a mucus-like substance, which is cold, dense, heavy, firm, slow, thick, sticky, wet and clear in nature as its all the properties of kapha and must be checked always. Aggravation of a type of kapha, known as bodhak kapha, leads to a loss of appetite so detailed diagnosis is always very vital.
Negative mental feelings such as sorrow, fear, excessive greed and anger can also lead to anorexia and so all these signs must not be ignored and rather taken into seriously. As Ayurveda medicinal science treats the root cause of the disease instead of treating the symptoms, the Ayurvedic line of treatment pacifies the bodhak kapha and relaxes the mind so its very much soothing for the tissues of body and always ensures best healing.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice for Anorexia Nervosa
- - A single day of fasting is good for digesting ama (mucus) so fasting is always highly beneficial for us and we must follow it. Have freshly prepared warm food always for best digestive system. Meals should be taken at regular intervals, so that the previous meal gets digested and this way cycle of digestion does not gets distrubed. Avoiding snacking between meals as it leads to development of chronic indigestion. When psychological factors are involved, creating a happy and calm atmosphere helps to improve the condition and thus always helpful for patient's digestive tract. Being in the company of good friends and relatives relieves stress and improves digestive power so this also must be encouraged always and health dietary regimen always leads to healthy digestion.
Home Remedies for Anorexia nervosa
- Prepare a mixture of ¼ teaspoon of ginger juice, ¼ teaspoon of lime juice and a pinch of rock salt as all these are good in medicinal properties. Have this preparation in separate doses 15 minutes before meals, twice a day for best health benefits as it does enables normalcy in digestive process.
- To remove mucus and improve the functioning of taste receptors, clean your tongue after brushing the teeth so a good hygiene is maintained. This helps in preventing tastlessness in the mouth and improving appetite as all these are highly helpful on all the aspects.
Treatment / Prescription / Consultation / Home remedies for Anorexia nervosa - please send an email to email@example.com